Acute /Sick Visit Guidelines and Wellness Visit Guidelines –
Updated for Respiratory Season 2023-2024
Acute/Sick visits that REQUIRE Isolation Protocol
- Patient has tested positive for Covid and is between day 0-5 of quarantine, regardless of masking status.
- Patient has tested positive for Covid and is between day 6-10 of quarantine and is not able to reliably wear a mask.
- Patient is under 2-2.5 years of age OR older but developmentally not able to reliably wear a mask, and has isolation qualifying symptoms, including:
- Runny nose and congestion
- Fever (100 or greater)
- Body aches
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste/smell
- Note: All patients scheduled under our isolation protocol must contact the front desk prior to entering our office. You will be met outside by a staff member and escorted directly to an exam room, to avoid the risk of exposure to families in our waiting area.
Acute/ Sick Visits that do NOT require Isolation Protocol
- Patient has tested positive for Covid and is between day 6-10 of quarantine and is able to reliably wear a mask.
- Patient is over 2-2.5 years of age and can reliably mask even with isolation qualifying symptoms, as noted above.
Wellness Visit Guidelines
- Covid Positive day 0-10: Regardless of ability to mask, wellness visit will be deferred through this time. This is a non-urgent visit and allows the child to complete their isolation/masking period and then be able to safely remove their mask for the routine parts of the exam.
- Covid Exposed day 0-5: Regardless of ability to mask, wellness visit will be deferred through this time. The recommendation is masking day 0-5 and mask would need to be removed during routine parts of the examination.
- Covid Exposed day 6-10 and able to mask. If no isolation qualifying symptoms are present, the child may be seen as scheduled. The patient should remain masked at all times until instructed by a provider to remove it during their exam.
- Covid Exposed day 6-10 and NOT able to mask. If no isolation qualifying symptoms are present, the child may be seen as scheduled but will be brought in under the isolation protocol outlined above. The patient may be tested for Covid on the day of the visit.
- Note: For our purposes, “exposed” is defined as having been unmasked for 15 minutes or more within 6 feet of a person with Covid or who developed Covid within 5 days of the interaction. This is different than current return to community guidelines, as portions of the wellness visit involve looking directly into the mouth or nose which is much higher risk for exposure than day to day activities.
CCP Environmental Office Measures
- HEPA filters have been placed in all exam rooms for the protection of our patients, families, and staff.
- CCP staff will don masks while caring for patients with isolation visit qualifying criteria.
- Hand washing stations and hand sanitizer are placed throughout our office locations.
- Occupational health measures are in place for any employee exhibiting qualifying symptoms, including testing for Covid-19 prior to being cleared for work.